CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I'm trying to rent a apartment I'm told that I 't have good

Customer Question

I'm trying to rent a apartment I'm told that I don't have good enough credit and that is the only reason why I don't qualify. is that legal, and what can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately, poor credit is a basis to deny a potential tenant application.

You can try increasing the amount of deposit that you are willing to pay (CA does have a limit on how much a deposit the landlord can legally accept/demand: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/when-rent.shtml).

Or you can see if the landlord is willing to consider a guarantor (find another person with more acceptable credit that is willing to guarantee your lease so that in the event of default, the landlord can pursue both you and the guarantor for any breach).