Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I just bought a property from the Philadelphia sheriff

Customer Question

I just bought a property from the Philadelphia sheriff sale.i went pass the property to check it out and there was someone living in the property.i told the lady I just bought the house at the sheriff sale and she took my number to give to her lawyer.the lawyer called me and said they out in to quiet the title twice with the city and I need to get my money back.
what should I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

Has that lawyer provided you any supporting documents?

Under the circumstances, I presume you have recorded title to the house. If that is the case, you can pursue an eviction action against the persons living at the property. In the event they have actual title, that will be that become known through the process. Otherwise, they will have to leave. Chances are if the people living in the property had actual legal title, the property would never have been sold. It may be a good idea to check the website of your County Court, doing a search for the name of the person living at the property, to get information about any potential previous quiet title lawsuits and the court disposition in them. It is definitely not unheard of for somebody t pretend to be an attorney in a phone call or even a meeting to assist a friend or relative out of the legal bind. I think you need more information before determining that what you were told is true.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. I'm here to help. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help provided.

Best,

Attorney 1