RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I have been living in a house with my partner months the

Customer Question

I have been living in a house with my partner for 8 months the relationship has broken down after she physically attacked me. Her name is ***** ***** title of the house but not the mortgage and she has not contributed anything towards the costs or bills. I have now asked her to leave but she refuses. Where do i stand?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Good morning I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Is your name on title to the home as well or just the mortgage? Also, were the police called after the attack?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my name is ***** ***** title and the only name on the mortgage. I did not call the police at the time but have kept all photos

Thank you. The issue is that with your partners name being on title, she has just as much of a legal right and interest to the home as you. Being on the mortgage is just an obligation to pay, so now you would need to proceed through the court to get relief, if she refuses to move and may need to go so far as sell the home. If she refuses to pay for anything, it would fall on you and then you would have to sue her to try and recover those contributions, if there was an agreement to share in them. I asked about calling the police, because if there was domestic violence, she could have been arrested and charged and a no contact order could have been put in place, which would have prevented her from returning, until this was resolved. Right now, it would be hard to get her out since she is an owner and while you could sue her for money, it would not require her to vacate, which is why I said the last resort, may be a forced sale of the home.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!