LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

My heater turned off 2 weeks ago. I told my landlord the day

Customer Question

Hello my heater turned off 2 weeks ago. I told my landlord the day it happened he came a week later to see and try to fix. After he replaced a piece and turned heat I smelled gas so I called Pseg. They came red tagged heater and said needs to be fixed. Next day I told landlord, he said ok came back next day turned on heat his self for about an hour and said someone Was coming to replace valve. Later he said part will be in next day hopefully. Today he showed up turned heat on 80 and said he was running to see what happens. So we smelled gas told him and he said no didn't smell. So I called Pseg again, he left before they arrived. Pseg said they could smell gas from outside when they got out car. So they checked the hot water and furnace are passing gas n I had my you g children under 2 in house. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Tracie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Well, for starters you and your children need to relocate from your home until the landlord gets the appliances repaired---professionally---and are no longer a danger to you and your children.

You should demand a rebate of rent from the landlord for the time that you cannot use your home, and might ask the landlord to put you and the children up in a hotel for a few days while the repairs are made.

Because this has been going on for a couple of weeks you should insist that the landlord immediately hire a professional plumber to make the repairs and you may suggest that if he will not do that that you will terminate your lease, relocate and sue for constructive eviction based on the lack of usable hot water and heat in the middle of winter.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Doug