LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Is putting a washer and dryer in unit when there is a

Customer Question

Is putting a washer and dryer in unit when there is a restriction on putting them in although there is not a common area in the building for washer and dryer facilities acceptable.
Also replacing carpet with laminate flooring is against bylaw rule of no hardwood floors.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon George,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is the residential unit in a condo association or some other association with By-laws?

2. Are you saying that the By-Laws prohibit both washers.dryers as well as wood flooring?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a condo association and yes bylaws prohibiting both things
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

If the By-Laws clearly state that no unit owner may place a washer or dryer in their unit, I'm not sure why you think that there is an exception that would allow you to violate the by-laws. There is no MI law that gives you the right to put in a washer/dryer simply because the complex does not have these facilities available for use on the property. I will admit I am extremely puzzled why an association would FORCE all residents to go off property to do laundry and the regulation is positively inane---but because it is part of the contractual obligation owed by owners to the association, it can certainly be enforced.

Likewise with the wood flooring. Though at least I understand this prohibition---because it is part of an effort to limit interior noise in the units. Wood flooring tends to be nosier than carpets, or even tile. But the fact is that it is part of the contract between owners and the association and must be abided by.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug