Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I was kicked out of my sublease by the leasee who took me to

Customer Question

I was kicked out of my sublease by the leasee who took me to court to remove my business from the unit due to their lease stipulation that stated that they were not allowed to sublease. I paid rent for 6 months. Is there any way I can sue to get my money invested back?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Yes, if the prime tenant had to terminate your lease and evict you due to their error in renting to you initially, that isn't your fault and you can sue them for breach of contract. You can sue for any prepaid rent as well as for any costs that you incurred due to having to move and find a new location. You may even be able to claim damages if you had to rent a new place at a higher monthly rent.

.

The prime tenant should have checked to see if they could sublease before they did so. Their failure to do so would make them liable for any damages that you incurred due to having to leave.

.

If your damages are $10K or under, you can sue them in small claims court and don't need an attorney..

.

.

thanks