RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

If my landlord has my rent check on the due date but doesn't

Customer Question

If my landlord has my rent check on the due date but doesn't cash it for two weeks can he/she charge me a late fee?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, they can not. The rent is due when owed and as long as it it received by the due date, then there can not be a late fee charged. If the landlord held the check and did not deposit it until a later time, that is at their discretion and you should not incur any fees as a result. Moreover, you can not control the actions of the landlord, so if they held it and acted in bad faith or simply could not get to the bank, you should not be held responsible, if it was not deposited within the time it was due. Your obligation is only to make sure the rent is paid when due.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!