Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

NC purchase information. Probably need lawyer who is expert

Customer Question

NC purchase information. Probably need lawyer who is expert in NC law?
Buying house in New Bern NC. All contingencies have been removed. If we back out what are we legally required to pay other than earnest money(deposit?)
Is there some recourse the seller is entitled in addition to deposit given.
When we move to NC from FL we have to be careful as to when we become NC residents instead of FL. Concern is taking out IRA taxable and avoid NC 6% tax.
Is it when we buy in NC, turn on utilities, enter state, etc.?
Need to thread the needle here or have big unnecessary tax bill. If we are NC residents before selling FL home I assume we would have NC tax on any gains?
Thank you for assistance.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I'm not from NC, I practiced mostly in Texas and now do consulting work across the US, but the laws on contracts in NC are about the same as in every other state. This is an area of the law that only has minimal differences, none of which are implicated here.

If you want me to answer let me know, if not I can opt out.