RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My neighbor built a privacy fence on my property knowing it

Customer Question

My neighbor built a privacy fence on my property knowing it was on my property. Am not going to sell but how do I offer property free and clear with his fence on my property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You would need to address this now and obtain a survey, to clearly show that it is on your property and needs to be removed. If he refuses, you then need to sue him and have it ordered that the fence be removed or you be entitled to remove it for them and go after them for the cost. If they knowingly did this and have no legal right, claim or defense, it would not make sense for them to allow this to go that far and the fence should be relocated. Anyone who buys the home will find out that their fence is on the property and not want to take possession and deal with this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!