Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My deceased great grandfather owned land in the Cayman

Customer Question

My deceased great grandfather owned land in the Cayman Islands and once I inquired, The Land and Survey Department claimed he did not, but I know that he did, so I would like to know what my options are for finding out the truth? Many years have passed without anyone in my family claiming the land and I was just made aware of this. Is there anything I can do? Please help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only way you can do anything is you need to actually have a surveyor in Cayman do a real survey and review the land records for a title search. Then once the title search is completed you would know if the Land and Survey Department is correct or not. That is the only actual option you have.
If they are not correct, then you can file a suit in court to recover the land as an heir.