Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My neighbor has agreed to sell me the six foot by forty foot

Customer Question

my neighbor has agreed to sell me the six foot by forty foot of land between our houses. We are on zero lot lines. right now his propertie goes to my foundation. I want to buy it and go to his foundation. He has agrred but the city says that since we are on zero lot lines if i bought the land, my neighbors lot would not be compliant. What are my options
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The issue would boil down to whether or not your community bylaws allow for a lot to be divided or whether local zoning or ordinances prohibit it. If it is prohibited, then you obviously couldn't get it done unless you get clearance from the community board or local authorities.

If that's where you end up, you can request a variance or an exception to the rules to allow you to get this done, but it would sheerly be up to the authority that has control over this issue.