RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I am renting an apartment on a month to month rental

Customer Question

I am renting an apartment on a month to month rental agreement .I have owned the property for under a year and would like to rent it to a daughter that's having a financial crisis. Can I give notice to the tenant for this reason? Is this legal??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is. As long as you give the proper notice to terminate the month to month lease agreement, the tenant would need to vacate. There is nothing wrong with doing this and is allowed, as long as you are not discriminating against the tenant. When a tenant rents month to month, they are afforded the flexibility to leave rather quickly, upon giving notice but it works the same way, as the landlord can end the lease as well. You really have no obligation to tell them why either and can advise them, in writing, that you are going to end the month to month lease, give them the proper notice and time to vacate and set up a move out inspection prior to, if they desire.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.