Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

The real estate agent say i breach on a lease contract and

Customer Question

The real estate agent say i breach on a lease contract and say i have to pay $5000.00 to her company
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes and ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you give me some more details about your situation?

.

What are they saying you have done that is a breach of the contract?

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wanted to rent a house in Pembroke Pines,Florida me and my wife she lives in Florida and i am living in New York.We Signed the lease which was for $2500.0 per month and we were suppose to put up $7500.00.I could not come up with the full amount on time so iwas told i had to pay $5000.00 for breach of contract ,that was in August last year.I told the real estate agent i would pay them but i was unable to pay as yet and the start Calling my phone harrising and threaten me even calling my job in New York telling them that i stole money from there company .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not going forward with the contract .

Ok, thank you for that information..

.

Have you been sued?

.

Has the house been rented after you breached?

.

What is your legal question I can help with? I am not sure what you are asking...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not knew if the house was rented after the breach and no i have not been sued only being called daily 10 or times and threaten what they could do to me if i do not pay them .

Ok, I think that I need to explain how the site works... Customers post a legal question and the attorneys on the site then provide a legal answer to the question.

.

I know that you entered a lease contract and then breached it and that the company/agent is calling you and demanding payment of the $5K..

.

But what I don't know is what your question is....those are just statements... A question is like "Can they do this?" or "Can they sue me?" or " How long can they come after me?" or "Can I be arrested for this?"...

.

See what I mean? I am good, but I can't read your mind to figure out what your question is...

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long can they come after me or can the sue me .

Ok, if this happened in FL, there is a 5 year statute of limitations on a breach of contract action. So they could potentially sue you for up to 5 years after the breach.

.

But they would have to come to NY to sue you to get the power to force you to go to court. This would be very expensive to hire an attorney to pursue so it is likely that they will just continue to call and bug you about payment and then eventually give up.

.

However, since they have a legitimate claim against you, this wouldn't be considered harassment unless they were calling many times a day. Then you could have a local attorney send them a "cease and desist" letter stating that if they contact you again, you will sue them for harassment as well as filing a criminal complaint.

.

That typically is enough to get them to give up..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My wife owed December rent and she said the land lord left a note on her door saying she have 3 days to pay the rent or she will be taking action
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just 1 month rent $1800.00.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks