Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Can my condo association 1) make me get home owners

Customer Question

can my condo association 1) make me get home owners insurance 2)if so can they make me name them on my policy 3) Is a vote valid if some one votes more than once?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under FL law, this is something that is entirely up to the association bylaws. Yes, condo associations frequently mandate owners provide homeowners insurance AND they can insist that the association is named as an additional insured on the policy. This can even be done with renter's insurance as well, since the landlord (just like an association) can have damage from the unit that is not covered by their blanket policy and would be the liability of the tenant, or in your case unit owner.
If a person votes more than the number of times they are allowed under the bylaws, then the excess votes are not counted. If those votes are removed and it would change the outcome of the vote, then the outcome of the measure would be invalid and would have to be voted on again properly.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not agree with these answers
Thank you for your reply.
Whether you agree with them or not, it is what the laws say. I particularly do not like the answers provided to us by many laws, but I can only answer based on how the law operates, regardless of whether or not I like what they say.
What is it you disagree with and why?