Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I live in a desirable building in Tacoma, WA. Last Spring

Customer Question

I live in a desirable building in Tacoma, WA. Last Spring (2015) they, without letting tenants know, they erected a cell tower directly above my apartment ON THE ROOF. All this under the auspices of roof repair.
Initially the shifting of the roof and the extra weight caused a 1/4 inch of old roof debris to cover the entire inside of my apartment. It damaged my furniture and some of my camera equipment.
I was very vocal and they were accommodating to the extent that they offered to have the place cleaned. I had already done this so they allowed me to take the cost of cleaning off my rent. Before I was offered that concession, I was warned to stop complaining and that I needed to decide if I wanted to continue to live in the building. Needless to say I backed down as living here has been a long time goal of mine.
However, the problem of noise and inconvenience has take a turn.
The roof repair went badly and they have had the workman on the roof rain or shine pounding and making general construction site noises that make it next to impossible for me to do my job - I sometimes work from home.
Further, the workmen have taken to looking in my skylights on a daily basis. I shout at them to stop but it continues. Further, my complaints to management go unheeded. Di I have any recourse here or am I too late for a formal complaint.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please, can you explain:

1) File a formal complaint with whom? You mean get the authorities involved?

2) Do you wish to stay in the building at all costs? Or if you could get out of your lease without penalty, you would leave?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.