Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My Condo HOA is requiring me to replace my windows that have

Customer Question

My Condo HOA is requiring me to replace my windows that have fallen slats. These slats are aluminum and with the frame expanding and contracting the vertical slats become loose and fall. I have 6 windows with fallen slats. At a cost of $350 per window this will set me back $2,100.00. If I have to replace the windows, can I replace with a plane window with no slats.?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, it is irrelevant what we think. You really need permission from the HOA on whether they will accept that. talk to your board and see if they will waive your HOA fees or provide some alternate methods to meet their requirements. I serve on my HOA board and we try to work with our residents on these issues.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I have to make the repairs? Even if the fallen slats are due to manufacture defect? Can they fine me? Can they take legal action against me?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately you do. You can sue the manufacturer for your loss in small claims court. I do not know your HOA by laws but their typical remedies are fines, an injunction where they get a judge to order you to fix it or allow them to fix it at your expense. They can even put liens or seek foreclosure.

Good evening. We only get credit for answering your question if you accept and provide a rating. If you need further assistance, please let me know.