Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I am in the state of California. I rent a commercial

Customer Question

I am in the state of California. I rent a commercial business office. My rent is due on the first of the month. However, due to a cold, I did not mail the check until Monday, January 4th. There was no mail service on January 1 or 2 or 3. The check arrived on Wednesday, January 6th and was cashed. Still, the property services company sent me a 3 day notice dated Jan 7th.
Is it standard practice or appropriate to give someone a 3 day notice to pay or quit when they are less than a week late? I have been renting for 6 years or more and I always pay my rent in a timely fashion until I was sick.
Thank you so much.
Marie
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question and good evening.

It is pretty standard, sometimes it is auto generated.Her you took care of it and you have good payment record. I understand your situation here.They were within their rights here to send it and you resolved it in a timely manner.The landlord is making note of it here for the record and hopefully it doesn't happen to you again.

Things happen here, you did the best you could here.You just move on and keep moving forward.It was a one time thing , thats about it.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Marie the bot***** *****ne is that its standard with commercial leases to generate such a notice and really they were protecting their rights under the law to evict if payment was not made.You corrected thats all you can do here.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.