Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

We bought 5 acres in Costilla County, Colorado. We were told

Customer Question

We bought 5 acres in Costilla County, Colorado. We were told we could obtain a 90-day camping permit while we were building by the land company. We heard rumors of problems with this and found the Land Code from 2013 (the last official code). It has never been amended officially. We did what we were told to do in October 2015. And again just after my husband moved there to start building. Two weeks ago, code enforcement officers visited our property and told my husband the camper was a "nuisance" and he had 10 days to get the problem taken care of. Yesterday he went to the planning and zoning office and was told to pay a $100 fee and that he had 3 days to get the camper off the lot. Can they force us off like this? Do we have any recourse?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, any verbal assurances or promises related to real estate made by land company would not be legally binding or enforceable and unfortunately, if the zoning board does not grant a camping permit, then the camper would have to be removed or otherwise the zoning office will start placing penalties / fines, which can apply for every day that the property owners are in violation of the camping restriction and at some point, if the penalties are not paid, the local government will be able to place a lien on the property and foreclose on the property if the lien remains unpaid.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.