RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

This is landlord tenant question. Tenant has been evicted by

Customer Question

This is landlord tenant question.
Tenant has been evicted by sheriff at apt in trenton nj, after court order eviction was obtained. Sheriff told her to leave apt , that she had 10 min to get out. Sheriff at time of tenant eviction said we( the landlord) had to give tenant 30 days to remove her other belongings. This sounds completely insane. Tenant was already behind in rent for 2 months. We want to know what time tenant has to vacate her property from apartment. We don't want her stuff, we just want it out asap.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to say but what the Sheriff said, does control. The court ordered that she vacate the rental. That she must do and a normal person, would take their items with them. In this case, if she only had 10 mins to move, that would be hard to do. As such, you can contact her and advise her of a time whereby she can return and retrieve these items. If she does not, then you could advise her they will be disposed up. In the mean time, you can enter and start cleaning up the rental and store/hold the items. If you did throw them aware prior to the time expiring , she could turn around and sue you for damages. Who knows if she will but you just need to be aware that you take a risk, if you just get rid of her stuff. Now, if you wanted to go back to court, you could ask for a court order to dispose of it, prior to the 30 days expiring, if work needs to be done and this needs to be rented, ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!