Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live in a mobile home park in West Monroe, Louisiana. I

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home park in West Monroe, Louisiana. I own my mobile home and rent my lot. New owners just came in and going up on rent to the same as other mobile home parks (in the same area) are charging but they pay their lot renters water and sewage. We pay our own water and sewage. Is there anything I can do legally, to prevent this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have a current written lease they are trying to change on you? When does that lease expire?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no expiration is on the lease of my neighbors. I don't think I signed one. My sister owned the park before and she only charged me $50. Now my nephew and his wife own it. The lot rent has just went up to $125. now Just months later up to $150. Most all of us are on disability or the elderly on Social Security and they know that. They told me that no one will move out because they can't afford it. So they are thinking they can charge us
Thank you for your reply.
If you have no written lease, unfortunately, this means the new owner can come in and with 30 day notice according to LA law can change the terms of the lease you are under. It is not illegal for them to change the amount or rent or to include the water and sewer bill in the rent. The tenants who are not bound under a lease have no real legal recourse to stop the landlord from doing this. The only one way to stop this is if you had a written lease for a specific period of time and you were still within that time period, then the landlord could not make the change until that time ran out.