LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

State of Maryland Changing the names on a residential

Customer Question

State of Maryland
Changing the names on a residential property Deed, outstanding mortgage payments are up to date.
I just found that my wife who's name is ***** ***** Deed and is unemployed, has outstanding credit cards that she is not paying. It's my understanding her creditors could place a judgement against her and whatever assets her name is on.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked about: I just found that my wife who's name is ***** ***** Deed and is unemployed, has outstanding credit cards that she is not paying. It's my understanding her creditors could place a judgement against her and whatever assets her name is on. Yes, you are correct. If your wife's name is ***** ***** deed to the property and she is sued and a judgment taken against her, the creditor could lien your home to the extent that your wife has an interest in it.

If she is willing, she can easily transfer her share of the property to you with the use of a Quit Claim Deed, and the process can be done in a matter of hours.

Here is a link to what a typical quit claim deed form looks like. http://www.freequitclaimdeedforms.com/forms/maryland-quit-claim-deed.pdf

Or, for a few hundred dollars, you could have a local real estate attorney draft a quit claim deed for you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug