P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

My HOA is trying to make me pay mailing a certified letter (

Customer Question

my HOA is trying to make me pay for them mailing a certified letter ( which they are calling a legal letter) 250.39 AND A 2016 ASSESMENT FEE AT 450.00 IS THIS RIGHT?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

An HOA is merely a corporation...a corporation with membership in the corporation comprised of the HOA property owners.

An HOA, like any corporation, is bound by its bylaws.

So...can the HOA charge you fees?

That depends on the bylaws.

IF your HOA allows the HOA to charge legal fees to members for legal matters that the HOA board of directors are attempting to resolve, and this letter was created by an attorney? THen they can charge you the money they had to pay to have the letter drafted.

Bot***** *****ne: the HOA can ONLY charge you a fee IF the bylaws allow this.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.