Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I'm a real estate owner and would like to know how much

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a real estate owner and would like to know how much I can raise the rent on a tenant who's lease has expired for over 6 months now. Also would like to what additional fees I can legaly charge such as Pet Fee, Laundry Water Usage Fee ect in a new lease agreement??? Please let me know.
Thanks
Joe
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you .

In your situation the tenant is month to month.So give them 30 days notice of rent increase.There are no limits here on how much.Fees here as well are whatever you wish to charge.Again give them 30 days, they either vacate or pay the higher rates and fees.Connecticut does not regulate this other than you giving them written notice of the increases.If they fail to pay here you would have grounds to notice and evict them.You could also offer them a lease here if you choose.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Bot***** *****ne you can raise the rent and add fees here by giving them 30 days notice of the changes.There is no limit here at all in Connecticut.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Reference

Determining Rental Charges to be Excessive

The law lists 13 Factors to be considered:

• The rents charged for similar apartments in the City or neighborhood.
  • The health and safety conditions in your apartment.
  • Whether your apartment complies with the Hartford housing code and State statutes relating to your health and safety.
  • The repairs needed to make your apartment livable.
  • The size/ number of bedrooms in your apartment.
  • The number of bathtubs or showers, toilets and sinks in your apartment.
  • Services (such as utilities, furniture, furnishings and equipment) supplied by the landlord.
  • The amount of taxes and other expenses of the landlord.
  • Your income and whether there are other apartments you can afford.
  • What utilities you have in the unit, and whether you or your landlord pays for them.
  • Damages, other than wear and tear, which you caused to the apartment.
  • How much your landlord has raised your rent in the past. How much of the rent increase will be used to improve the apartment and building.

http://www.hartford.gov/housing/fair-rent-commission

Again there are not specific limitations against raising rent and adding fees.