MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

Prior to her death, our mother executed a quit claim deeed

Customer Question

Prior to her death, our mother executed a quit claim deeed (Minnesota) transferring her home to myself and my two siblings. Th QC Deed is a joint Tenants type which I understand means if one passes the other two get that persons share. We agreed to execute a quit claim deed changing the vestment to Tennants in Common. As the only marrried grantor, the quit clain form requies my spouse to waive and release to the grantee all rights of dower,curtsey, homestead, community property, and all other rights, title and interest if any, in the property. My last will does leave all of my property to m spouse. Will my will priotect her inherited interest in this property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is no. Placing property in joint tenancy may disinherit children or others since property held in joint tenancy passes to the survivor(s) regardless of what the deceased joint tenant's Will or Trust directs and regardless of whom the decedent's heirs are under law.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.