Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

Can I perform a legal sale ( by owner) of a property when I

Customer Question

Can I perform a legal sale (for sale by owner) of a property when I no longer have the abstract of the title? I can do a title search and see my name as vested owner. Do I really need the abstract to give the warranty deed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

A homeowner can sell the property without a realtor, even without the abstract of title, but it will be necessary to utilize the services of title company to make sure the closing takes place, provide title insurance and handle the reports and surveys necessary to transfer the property. Doing so eliminates the issue of not having the abstract of title, and title insurance is required by most lenders, anyway. However, if neither you nor the buyer are concerned with formal title reports, and a traditional lender is not involved, you could technically bypass the title company, too. Not recommended, though.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. I'm here to help. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

PS - Just to clarify, and abstract of title is not a formal requirement in executing a grant deed.

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help provided.

Best,

Attorney 1