LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

This is about farm leases. Our lease yrs. expires March 1

Customer Question

This is about farm leases. Our lease for 3 yrs. expires March 1 2016. We tried to renegotiate with landowner the beginning of November where he said that there would be no problem to get this worked out. 3 days later I received an e-mail saying they were going to take bids with 3 people. We did not bid because we felt we were misled. They have rented it to someone else. We have yet to be told that this has happened from them. Can they do this in this manner? Question #2. We also have a landowner (that happens to be the first landowner that I spoke of uncle) that won't settle on a price. It is a yearly lease in writing till Mar 1st. No notice has been given there either. What happens if he rents it out? Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: They have rented it to someone else. We have yet to be told that this has happened from them. Can they do this in this manner? As you didn't become part of the bid process, they know that you know that your lease will not be renewed. They have no legal obligation to tell you that they have rented to someone else---even though good business practice would suggest that was the appropriate thing to do,

Question #2. We also have a landowner (that happens to be the first landowner that I spoke of uncle) that won't settle on a price. It is a yearly lease in writing till Mar 1st. No notice has been given there either. What happens if he rents it out? Unless you have a contractual right to renew the lease automatically, or you arrange with the landlord to renew your present lease, then the landlord is free to lease to someone else and you would have to stop working the property when the lease is up.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug