Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Would like someone to review my Rental Unit Lease contract

Customer Question

would like someone to review my Rental Unit Lease contract and add/provide legal wording that would protect me and/or wave me from a tenant having a Pit Bull dog that isn't Property Insurance companies don't cover in Connecticut but the tenant has Renter's Insurance that cover's up to $500k if the dog bites someone. Please let me know if anyone has Real Estate Liability experience.
Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I can help. However, I am not sure what liability you are seeking to minimize. If the pit bull (or whatever breed) belongs to the tenant, then the landlord generally does not have liability if the tenant's dog bites a third party. The tenant is liable.

Or, you know this, but want to ensure that the contract reflects this all the same?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!