Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am an owner of a condo in NJ and have been charged

Customer Question

I am an owner of a condo in NJ and have been charged excessive late fees.
The association increased the fee by $20 for the last 10 months by direct debit was for the old amount. But I was paying on time the old amount. But the association sent the notifications to the wrong address and for the short fall of $200 they are charging me $800 late fees. Is legal? What recourse do I have.
They had my email and telephone number but did not let me know via those methods there was a problem and I would rectify immediately.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. If the notice was being sent to the wrong address, was the mail not being forwarded or do you know if it was being returned to them? Also, in the by-laws and regulations, does it state that you have an obligation to update them of any changes and does it allow notice to be sent by other methods, like email or phone?