Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Our condo has a Rules Committee, which is proposing 37 pages

Customer Question

Our condo has a Rules Committee, which is proposing 37 pages of new rules, basically having to do with restricting children and guests from using the facilities without an owner present at all times. this appears to be discrimination and in violation of the Federal Housing Act. Am I correct.
Also the Rules Committee did not advise the association members of any changes that they propose other than in a posting on the website. Notice of a meeting tomorrow was given
a few minutes ago to me only - after I emailed the committee chair.
What are our options ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

It is illegal under the Fair Housing Act, to prohibit children from using the facilities, but it is not illegal to require they be supervised. So, for example, you can not prohibit children in diapers from the swimming pool, but you can require children be supervised by their parents or an adult.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.