Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have an apartment house with 5 units. Several tenants have

Customer Question

I have an apartment house with 5 units. Several tenants have been involved in an on and off feud. They are month to month tenants. There is an old shed on the property which several people use (and everyone can access) to store items, with my permission, but without paying additional rent for the space. Yesterday, I received a letter from one of the "feuders", reporting that some of her jars of jam were stolen from the shed. She also reported being the victim of "vandalism, verbal abuse" among other things, and said "I need to feel safe in my home". In speaking with the other tenants, no one knows where the jam went, and say that the feud goes both ways - which in my past experience, has been true. This tenant wants me to report these "crimes" to the police. The police tell me that the victim must be interviewed, which she is declining to do. How bizarre this all is! What is my duty to this tenant?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Your duty is limited to providing a habitable dwelling that meets all minimum code and housing ordinances, but that is it. If the tenants are having disputes among themselves, then that is up to them to work out. You aren't legally obligated to be drawn into their squabbles to act as referee and I would suggest simply refusing to get involved.

.

I would tell the one tenant that if she has been the victim of a crime, she needs to call the police and have them investigate as you have no law enforcement powers..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years and tell the tenants from the beginning that if they have issues with any other tenant, then that is something that they need to work out between them...

.

.

thanks