Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

My landlord filed a dispossession on me and I answered to

Customer Question

My landlord filed a dispossession on me and I answered to the court within the 7 days. I live in GA. Everyone was told by the judge to take a 45 min recess and talk and try to work out arrangements instead of going before him. My landlord approached me in the lobby yelling and invading my space and telling me he wants the judge to kick my a** out immediately. His wife kept pulling him back and placing her hand in front of him and telling him to stop. We made an agreement for me to pay $2800 in 2 days which I know was impossible but I wanted him to just get away from me and stop yelling. I was afraid and he was embarrassing me in front of everybody who was quietly talking. Well I couldn't pay by the 31st of December and now Monday is approaching and I know he's gonna ask fir a writ of possession Monday morning. At this point what can I do and if nothing how long do you have to move if a writ is filed for breaking an agreement?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

I'm sorry to hear of this unfortunate situation. At this point, there's nothing you can do to stay if a writ is issued, other then make another deal with the landlord. Given his animosity and temper, perhaps it would help to try to talk to the wife. Otherwise, Georgia Code § 44-7-55 provides the landlord must wait 7 days to take back the property once the writ is issued, which gives you "time" to move out on your own. So, while you don't have much time to find another place, you at least have a few days. I know that's a small consolation, but at least it's something.

I hope this information helps give you some direction. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. I'm here to help. If I've addressed your issue, please let me know that, as well, and please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help provided.

Best,

Attorney 1