Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I reside in Las Vegas, NV and I was informed that the

Customer Question

I reside in Las Vegas, NV and I was informed that the property that I was living at for the past 10 years has been sold to a new owner for short sale yesterday. The water was shut off today by the previous owner and the current owner refuse to turn the water on. I called him numerous times and ignored my call. I have children living in the house. What is my tenant's right on this? Please help. Thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a written lease in effect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but I have to locate it in my file box. It's been 10 years since I looked at that agreement.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

So, it has expired?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If the lease expired then you are a month to month tenant. That means the landlord or their successor is required 5to give 30 days notice to terminate the lease.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

That means the buyer is liable to you for damages for trying to evict you without legal process. You can sue the landlord for unlawful eviction.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no expiration date on the agreement unless there is a clause that the agreement expires after several years. Neither the previous landlord nor the current owner taking steps in turning the water back on. What action can I take for someone to turn the water back on?
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If it had no expiration then it is month to month.

Call the county housing department. They will inspect and cite the landlord for shutting off utilities.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.