Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

How much does it cost to do a quiet title?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help.You can file this yourself and save legal fees.

Here is the form petition you add in your facts here.

http://www.kinseylaw.com/clientserv2/civillitigationserv/realestate/quiettitle/quiettitle.html

In California here the quiet title action is used to establish title against adverse claims to real property or any interest in the property. [Code Civ. Proc. §760.020] In an action or proceeding in which establishing or quieting title to property is in issue, the court may, in its discretion and on the motion of any party, require that the issue be resolved pursuant to the Code Civ. Proc. provisions relating to quiet title actions. [Code Civ. Proc. §760.030]

You file yours in Superior Court in the county where property is located.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

The filing feecost is going to be $435. You'll need to prepare a complaint and file it in Superior Court. If you need to pay a process server to personally serve any defendants, add around $80 per defendant for that cost.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with your suit.

I also wish you a happy new year.

Legal fees here if you used a lawyer might run $3k-$5k here so trying yourself might be the cheapest way to go.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

I cannot do a phone call but can continue to answer your questions here online.I sent you the offer.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I may accept the offer if I can have 1 question answered. I did not find the form for the petition. My question is, there is no other person involved but the Homeowner himself, who will the action be filed against?
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

If there is a lender here or a lien against the home thats who you serve as a party.If you are claiming title and no other liens and you aren't the homeowner you name them as party and serve them here.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Be happy to keep on chatting if you do additional services not a problem.Thanks.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Thanks again if you will accept the offer be happy to continue.

Thanks.