RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I rent a house through a leasing company and my A/C went out

Customer Question

I rent a house through a leasing company and my A/C went out on the 27th of December! I have talked to the leasing company employees and they state they are waiting for the owner to E-mail them back on what to do. They have not even been out to determine what is wrong with the system, it could be a thermostat problem or a breaker but they don't seem to care. I have stated to them that I have COPD and can't be without A/C and still nothing. Now, the receptionist takes my calls, no one will even talk to me, they promise some one will call me back but now it is going on 3 days and I have not heard a thing!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. The owner/landlord has an obligation to make the repair, within a reasonable amount of time. If anything, a tech should have been sent out to address the situation, so it can be determined what can be done. Now, if the landlord fails to act, then they could be in breach of the lease and you could have a basis to break the lease and vacate and sue them for damages, if the fail to fix this and as a result of your COPD, the rental is not habitable. Moreover, you should advise them of your condition, so they are on notice, since it does effect your ability to live there. Now, if you wanted to withhold rent, there are specific steps which you must follow BUT it would defeat the purpose if you remained and withheld rent, since the issue is that you can not be without A/C as a result of the COPD.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!