Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I owe $3000 to my condo can they forclose on my condo and

Customer Question

i owe $3000 to my condo ass can they forclose on my condo and can i loose my apt???
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if you are delinquent in your fees the association may place a lien on your condo unit and then they can foreclose and take the unit from you and evict you. They can hold a foreclosure auction and sell the unit and the new buyer can evict you.
You need to send them a written reasonable payment offer to the board and you need to specifically state in there that you are making a good faith offer to settle the debt and if they do not accept and try to foreclose you will pursue them for damages since they are refusing to accept reasonable payments (send them a check for the first payment as well with your letter) to make the delinquent payments current. Then if they refuse to do so, then if they try to foreclose you can use that copy of the letter as evidence you made a good faith effort to pay the delinquency and they refused.