socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Small African American business owner in AA County getting

Customer Question

Small African American business owner in AA County getting harassed next door neibor business owner. He has been harassing me since I been there about my signs. He threatens me to report to the county and he complains to my landlord. My Land Lord making me take all my signs down & he leaves all his signs up. What should I do file a complaint?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

For the sake of argument, and so I understand the situation, can you think of any reason, other than race discrimination, why the neighbor and the landlord wants you to to remove your signs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other reason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neibor & his Wife is trying to make me leave. Am the only African American business in the area & they make accusation of my customers I bring breaking in there business, and now I can't advertise my business.

Well, then you absolutely should bring a complaint to the government that you are being discriminated against. Here is the link to the Maryland Commision on Human Relations.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Note:

Justanswer provides a phone call option for customers. This is fine for Q&A sessions where the expert is not a lawyer. However, lawyers cannot split fees with a nonlawyer, and because Justanswer, LLC is not a law firm, I cannot accept any phone call option.

I can, however, make an additional services offer, which you may accept or decline at your convenience (customary legal services fees will apply). Please let me know if you're interested. Otherwise, we can continue here, if you choose.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I make a complain of harassment?

It's discrimination. Harassment is part of the act of discrimination -- but, it's not a separate claim. If you explain in your complaint what's happening, the same as you have to me in your question, the investigator will know how to proceed.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!