Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I moved into Fairways, 3858 Pennsylvania St, Longview, WA

Customer Question

I moved into Fairways,***** Longview, WA 98632 late October, 2015. Ground floor 1 BR. near mint golf course and mint school, off 38th and Ocean Beach. They do not offer a lease. New carpet and flooring. In December heavy flea infestation, tormenting me and a sick cat. Saw a large rat emerge from under the building. Now there are two very large holes chewed in the floor of cupboard under sink, which is leaking. Assume they are breeding. Also assume the cat saw one walking around, and is scared.
The local manager is a lovely woman. I have twice asked the corporation for assistance through her. They are in no hurry to respond.
I have a compromised immune system, do not respond to antibiotics. Ditto my cat. Rat bites have been lethal to babies and small pets for millennia. The fleas they carry bring bacteria and disease that I cannot fight. Flea spray doesn't work; they are walking around on me and the cat now. One just hopped from the laptop keyboard and disappeared down my nightgown. We never had fleas before.
What recourse do I have in Washington State law? How do I stop them from retaliating? Is there any protection for me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Have you informed the landlord of the problem?