Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I had a tenant remove a built in bookcase, paint exterior of

Customer Question

I had a tenant remove a built in bookcase, paint exterior of home ( different color) and cut out pipes supplying baseboard heat, without my approval. can I sue for damages? The tenant was going to purchase home. via a signed purchase agreement .after living there for several years but that sales agreement had expired, so they were effectively just paying rent without any lease.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

A tenant is required to return the property at the end of the tenancy in the same condition they received it, reasonable wear and tear excepted. So, yes, you can sue them for the cost to return the property to its original condition.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?