Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

What is the law in the state California about signing an

Customer Question

Customer: What is the law in the state California about signing an unnotarized two year lease term for a residential property. Can it be changed to only a year term.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: After signing a two year term and we have not moved in yet nor have given the landlord full payment for first, last rental and security deposit, we are already having issues with him for finding out lies after another lies. He he said at first he is the owner of property but we found out later from other source that he is not. Actually we want to back out but he's threatening us to be sued. So we have no choice However we don't trust him anymore.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Real Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

A lease is not required to be notarized. Is the landlord in default somehow?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?