RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
90553395

I HAVE POWER OF ATTORNEY, CAN I PAINT MINE AND MY ROOMMATES

Customer Question

I HAVE POWER OF ATTORNEY, CAN I PAINT MINE AND MY ROOMMATES HOUSE
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is in a nursing home and has given me Power of Attorney, but still able to make decisions.
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer. Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue….

I have a couple questions. Did she grant you a durable power of attorney and if so did it become effective immediately or does a doctor need to certify that she is incompetent?

If your power of attorney does not say Durable or have a statement somewhere within stating it is durable then it is a standard power of attorney. If this is case is she deemed competent? If not and the POA is not durable then the POA is not effective now. If you could answer those two questions I could provide you a more accurate answer.

Regards,

As I know you may not be online I will make some presumptions please correct me if this is wrong. You were granted a durable power of attorney that became effective immediately and continues even after she is incompetent or if you have a general power of attorney she is not currently incompetent.

With that being said, yes you can paint you and her house. With the power of attorney you have been granted the power to act in her place in making any of these decisions. A person with a power of attorney stands in place of the Principal (her) and makes decision as if you were her. You can also authorize payment for her portion as though you were her. Anything you sign on her behalf should be signed

Jane Doe as attorney in fact for ***** ***** (where you are Jane Doe and She is ***** *****)

I hope that fully answers your question. I should be online later today should you have a follow up question or if you need me to clarify something.

In case you are new to Just Answer I wanted to let you know that I am just an attorney setting at my home office and do not work directly for them. After you leave positive feedback (good-excellent) then I get a portion of what you paid JA. Thank you in advance for leaving positive feedback before you log off. Do note that after leaving positive feedback you are welcome to reply here with any follow up questions you have related to your original question for free as long as needed.

Regards,

Hello again,

I wanted to check in with you and confirm that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 26th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received a rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can go directly to my page for future questions by going here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ron-b/?rpt=3800

Regards, Ron

In case you are new to Just Answer I wanted to let you know that I am just an attorney setting at my home office and do not work directly for them. After you leave positive feedback (good-excellent) then I get a portion of what you paid JA. Note that if you do not leave feedback I receive nothing for the time I spent answering your question. Thank you in advance for leaving positive feedback before you log off. Do note that after leaving positive feedback you are welcome to reply here with any follow up questions you have related to your original question for free as long as needed.

Regards,

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

Regards, Ron