P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

If you own condo and pipes are old underneath cement floor,

Customer Question

If you own condo and pipes are old underneath cement floor, whose responsible? Plumbing problems have been goin on for years from being old and HOA has known of problems before I ever bought my unit.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

This depends on your bylaws. That is, the bylaws of your condo association will specify what the association is responsible for and what the individual members are responsible for.

There are several ways that this can be broken down. On common way is that the individual member is responsible from the "paint in" and the association responsible from the "paint out". In such a case, the association is responsible for all maintenance to the units that is located "inside the paint" (so, for example, plumbing, electrical, or structural problems would fall to the association

But it is becoming common for the associations to craft bylaws that assigns more responsibility to the individual owners.

In your case, you will want to review your bylaws to determine who is responsible for what.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.