Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My mother owned a small vacant lot in Riverside County

Customer Question

My mother owned a small vacant lot in Riverside County California when she died in Arizona in November 1997. The lot is worth about $500.00. She was a widow with only one child, me. How can I transfer the ownership of this lot to my son.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Honestly, this is likely going to cost much more than it is worth because if she was a resident of AZ when she passed, you would have to open a primary probate case in AZ to settle her estate, and then open another probate case, called "ancillary probate" in CA to deal with any CA assets. The lot would then be transferred to you as the sole heir from her estate and then you could deed it on down to your son.

.

The cost of doing so would likely run into several thousand if not more so it may not be financially prudent to do so unless the lot held some sentimental value so as to justify the cost.

.

And if the taxes haven't been paid on it all this time, it may have already been foreclosed on and sold for back taxes..

.

.

thanks