Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

We moved into our new home in Sept 2015. 10 days after our

Customer Question

We moved into our new home in Sept 2015. 10 days after our garage flooded and came very close to entering our house. Our builder blamed it on the construction being done on the house next to us and they blamed our builder for building our driveway on a drainage easement. Since then we asked our builder to fix the problem with French drains in our driveway but they put some kind of cheap drainage pipe with holes in it. We flooded again and asked for them to fix the drainage again and this time they put French drains in the ground but not the driveway. We didn't know we were on a drainage easement when we purchased the home from them and asked several times during construction about possible drainage problems because the lot sits next to a lot that slopes. We are in the Ztexas Hill country where heavy rains happen often. Should we seek legal action against our builder?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you absolutely should go after your builder if he won't resolve this voluntarily. You do have recourse here against your seller. The seller is obligated to disclose anything the seller knows or should have known that a reasonable buyer would consider material in making the decision whether or not to buy the property. This clearly qualifies as a material matter that should have been disclosed and is clearly something the builder knew or should have known. What you want to do is raise the stakes on your builder. You should send the builder a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the situation and lack of disclosure and demand the builder compensate you to remediate the problem within a short specified period of time. Inform your builder that if they do not timely comply with your demand, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, the builder will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on his record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!