RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

If I buy a home without a mortgage. Can I at closing pay the

Customer Question

If I buy a home without a mortgage. Can I at closing pay the current seller's mortgage directly with a bank check? Its a large amount how do I insure the closing agent doesn't run away with it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. No, you can not. There are specific instructions to close and typically, the money either needs to be wired or a certified bank check must be brought to the closing, for the purchase price. The money is held in escrow in the closing agents account. If they run away with it, they would be committing a criminal offense and be risking prison time, so it may not be in their best interest to do this, as they will be caught. If you have doubts about the closing agent, then in the contract, select your own and make the use of them as a condition to the purchase.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.