Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I'm a landlord in nyc. My tenant just moved in last

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a landlord in nyc. My tenant just moved in last Thursday. He has a one year lease. He is exhibiting very strange behavior, knocking on my other tenants door at 6:00am. And standing in front of her door for over an hour. She is very scared. Can I put him out
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If he is harassing other tenants you really have no choice but to warn him and if that does not work you can terminate his lease and evict him if he refuses to leave.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

You can not really put him out unless he physically threatens or attacks other tenants or damages property. Otherwise, you will need to gomthrough the eviction process.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought that in NYC you don't have tenancy until 30days after you move in?
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

No, if there is a written lease and he has paid rent and taken possession it is a tenancy. The tenancy exists as soon as the lease is signed.