Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Recently we won a bid in FL on an online absolute real

Customer Question

recently we won a bid in FL on an online absolute real estate auction. after making the down payment the auction co. called to tell us the seller refuses to close or act on our winning bid. can he be sued for performance of the contract and is he liable for our attorney costs?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It would depend on the contract that you have signed (if you have one signed). In normal transactions, you can definitely sue for specific performance and you would be entitled to attorney's fees if you prevailed.

However, in this situation, the rules of the auction would be the controlling standard. I would need to see the auction terms prior to giving you an answer because without seeing them, I would only be speculating.