RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I just received a Buyout Disclosure Letter from my landlord

Customer Question

I just received a Buyout Disclosure Letter from my landlord for an apt. I have rented for years in Manhattan. I am not interested in a buyout, but do I need a lawyer to draft my response? Stephen
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. What are they seeking and asking for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Am I required by law regulations to respond to their written response?

It is at your discretion to respond. Their actions indicate an intent to settle and try and resolve this but you are under no obligation to agree to any type of buyout. You can respond on your own and do not need an attorney. You may want to respond and propose a counter-offer, that you think is fair and are comfortable with. Worse case, is that they reject it but may come up in price, from their original offer. The only time you would be legally required to respond, is if there was a lawsuit and you were served with a summons and complaint, which indicated a specific time frame to file an answer.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.