Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I signed a 12 months least with the owner of a house here in

Customer Question

I signed a 12 months least with the owner of a house here in IN, south whitley, and he hired a property management company 2 months later, increased my rent $60. per month, I signed a month to month lease with the property mgmt., this now being one year later, I am deducting the cost of a new dead bolt lock and key plus labor, and the property mgr. is saying I cannot deduct from my rent...they brought new locks in but took one look at the old lock system, and said, oh no, this won't work, and never changed locks or never helped me gain access in the back door, which I haven't had access to gaining access IN since I've lived here (Dec. 2014).I need your help here... I can be reached at XXX XXX XXXX at home number or my cell XXX XXX XXXX, I work 3rd shift so can be reached on my cell from 10 pm to 8:30 am Thank youXXXXXXX
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Did they increase your rent during the 12 month lease period?

.

If so, did you agree to pay the additional money? (if you had a fixed term lease, you didn't have to)

.

Was there something wrong with the lock and deadbolt so that it needed to be changed?

.

Did you notify the landlord about any defective lock and request that it be changed?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If u took the time to read what I've said, these questions of urs would have already been answered, wth! Payment will be rejected, I am calling the bank, RIP off
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Next lawyer please, I should have known better
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

I did read your comments carefully....you stated you signed a 12 month lease.. then you stated you signed a month to month lease at $60 higher... So it doesn't make sense to me why you would sign a month to month after you already signed a written fixed term lease. That is why I questioned it.

.

As for the lock, I have no idea whether you just didn't like the lock and changed it, whether you lost your keys so decided to change it, or whether there was something wrong with it and decided to change it.... it makes a difference legally.

.

Further, it also matters if you notified them and gave them reasonable time to repair if it was damaged or whether you changed it the same day you decided to change it (for whatever reason).

.

Each question builds on the previous one so as to establish your legal position and determine your options.

.

I apologize for taking the time to clearly establish what your actions were and why they were done so as to give you a clear and legally correct answer.

.

If you have changed your mind about using the service, or are unsatisfied with the service, you are free to contact customer service and they will happily refund your money..

.

.

thanks.