Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

If I own a property that I have, and decide to listed with a

Customer Question

If I own a property that I have for sale, and decide to listed with a agent, are they entitled to commission if the buyer is someone that previously saw the property thru me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

It's going to depend upon your listing agreement. You should have excluded anyone who had already been shown the property prior to the listing. If not, the typical listing agreement would provide for a commission to be owed for any contract and sale during the listing period no matter the manner in which the buyer came to the property. If your listing agreement is such, what you would want to do is wait for the listing agreement to expire (including any protection period in that listing agreement) or to see if you can terminate the listing agreement early.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that absolutely no commission would be due, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!