MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

We have a one year lease on a residential apartment unit in

Customer Question

We have a one year lease on a residential apartment unit in San Francisco. Our property manager is insisting that we sign a new one year lease as ours is expiring. We would rather go month to month. Can she force us, legally, to sign a new lease? I thought that, after one year, leases "automatically" converted to month to month. Thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is no. The property manager cannot force you to sign a new lease. If the property manager continues to accept your rent at the expiration of your lease, then you will be on month to month. However, she can refused to accept your lease and grant you a month to month. At that point, you will either need to move or or you could face eviction.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.